Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Moms for Modesty?

http://www.everydaymommy.net/everyday-mommy/2006/9/5/moms-for-modesty.html


Check out the above link - Jules at Everyday Mommy started a fantastic thing (IMO), the Moms for Modesty blog team. In a day when it is nearly impossible to clothe my 10 year old in non "hoochie mama" wear - I appreciate any stand for allowing our children to be *children* and not a miniature version of a sex symbol.

Now, I want to clarify the meaning of modesty - this doesn't mean I think women/girls ought to be covered from head to toe. It doesn't mean I'm out to make myself or my children look as if we belong in the 1800's. (although, I always thought that'd be kinda fun:-) Well, except for the corsets LOL) It's not a word we say a whole lot in our culture, but it's an important concept to be taken back. Our society at large has lost any sense of modesty - there is no more leaving *anything* up to the imagination, and this sexualization of our culture has become so pervasive, it's difficult to find clothing for my 3 year old, let alone my 10 year old, that allows them to look well, like the beautiful little girls they are. Key words there - LITTLE GIRLS. Not that I just love the fashion choices out there for teens or even for adult women, but I find the growing lack of modest, cute :-) clothing available for girls to be particularly despicable. Now....do ya wanna know how I *really* feel?

Here's the Moms for Modesty mission statement - kinda speaks for itself:

As a Mom for Modesty I believe in common-sense modesty for girls and young women.

I believe in refraining from sexualizing our girls and young women.

I believe that it is unwise and unfair to taunt boys and young men by permitting my daughter(s) to dress in an immodest manner.

I believe that true beauty comes from within and I strive to teach my daughter(s) this truth.

I will loyally shop at retailers that provide girls' and young womens clothing that is modest, affordable and stylish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home