Monday, July 03, 2006

Reformed Mama has started a wonderful thing (at least *I* think it's wonderful LOL)...Succulent Sundays. A day for bloggers to post their favorite recipes and focus on renewing the importance of family togetherness. Sunday dinner, anyone?

Now, I LOVE to cook, but I often cook all week, and then bag out on the weekends. We wind up spending way too much money on food that I could either duplicate at home for SO much less, or that I could make better than the restaurant does! Did ya ever notice that restaurant food just isn't all that good most of the time? I mean, sure, go to Ruth's Chris and you won't be disappointed, but at regular run of the mill establishments, the food is just that...run-of-the-mill. NOT that I don't love to go out to eat, I sure do (Binh Minh - aaaah, nothing like it!). I've just been rather convicted lately about the wisdom in going out so often.

So, on to Succulent Sundays! Obviously, it's not Sunday - I didn't get a chance to post this yesterday, so I thought I'd start today, and pick up next Sunday. I'm going to post a recipe for my favorite chicken casserole - my mom has been making it since I was a little girl, and now I make it for my family. I've yet to meet someone who does not love it.

Chicken Divan

2-3 cups cooked shredded chicken
2 10 oz. packages chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
2 cans cream of chicken soup
2/3 cup mayonnaise
2 TBSP lemon juice
1 bag seasoned croutons
2 cups grated cheese (I use sharp cheddar)

Preheat oven to 350. Spread broccoli in the bottom of a 9x13 casserole; spread chicken on top of broccoli. Mix together cream of chicken soup, mayonnaise, and lemon juice until smooth; Pour over chicken/broccoli. Sprinkle croutons over sauce mixture.

Bake at 350 for 20 minutes; Remove from oven and sprinkle cheese over croutons; Bake 10 more minutes, or until cheese and melted and casserole is bubbly. Enjoy!

(This casserole makes GREAT leftovers; it also can be frozen, just layer all ingredients except the cheese. When you are ready to bake, thaw the casserole, then bake as directed.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home