Sunday, April 09, 2006

Did you ever get that kick-ya-in-the-gut feeling when you are at church? That sense that "oh yeah, this is *definitely* for me today". I got one of those today.
I have been in nostalgia mode for about 2 weeks now, which inevitably leads me down the road of all my regrets. Unfortunately, I have kind of a lot of them. Whether it's regret over how I treated people, or the outcome of some of my actions, or maybe how certain relationships ended. Here's the rub: I have been a believer for 10 years now - I KNOW that I am forgiven. I really do. But for some reason there are certain regrets (a,k.a. GUILT) that I can't seem to let go of. A lot of the time I tend to ignore all that - my dear husband says I am the master of stuffing my feelings. But every now and again something will happen that will bring the whole load of cr...junk back up, and there it all is again. I get overwhelmed by my own sin; my own utter inability to love anyone, much less love God; my own unworthiness.
Aaaah, and here's where I got my but kicked today. The sermon was on the cross. Rather an appropriate topic given the time of the year. Specifically Christ's final words - it is finished. Of course, i can't remember the Greek word (and I didn't write it down - I really need to start taking notes); but it's this one word in the Greek that means all that. The gist is, the work - Jesus' purpose on this earth; MY salvation; MY forgiveness. It...is...finished. It...IS...finished. And if I'm hanging on to all that guilt and regret - well, what am I saying about what Jesus did for me on the cross? Do I accept the fact that HE did it, and it's not about me. Or do I keep going through my life trying to be better, or be more, or earn something that I already have?
Let me sum up my feelings in the words of a great song.
No guilt in life, no fear in death, this is the power of Christ in me. From life's first cry, to final breath, Jesus commands my destiny. No power of hell, no scheme of man, can ever pluck me from His hand. Till He returns, or calls me home, here in the power of Christ, I stand.
Here's the entire song, if you care to read - it's called In Christ Alone.
In Christ alone my hope is foundHe is my light, my strength, my songThis cornerstone, this solid groundFirm through the fiercest drought and stormWhat heights of love, what depths of peaceWhen fears are stilled, when strivings cease My comforter, my all-in-allHere in the love of Christ I standIn Christ alone who took on fleshFullness of God in helpless babeThis gift of love and righteousnessScorned by the ones He came to save'Til on that Cross, as Jesus diedThe wrath of God was satisfiedFor every sin on Him was laidHere in the death of Christ I liveThere in the ground His body layLight of the world by darkness slainThen bursting forth in glorious dayUp from the grave He rose againAnd as He stands in victorySin's curse has lost its grip on meFor I am His and He is mineBought with the precious blood of ChristNo guilt in life, no fear in deathThis is the power of Christ in meFrom life's first cry to final breath Jesus commands my destinyNo power of hell, no scheme of manCan ever pluck me from His hand'Til He returns or calls me homeHere in the power of Christ I'll stand'Til He returns or calls me homeHere in the power of Christ I standHere in the power of Christ alone

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home